It’s important to ensure that your pet is comfortable with the arrival of their new companion and that they understand how to behave around the baby. Here are five tips for introducing your dog to a new baby.
1. Prepare in Advance - You should begin preparing your dog for the arrival of the baby before they are even born. Start by adjusting your dog's routine and getting them used to changes in advance. This will help your pet cope better when their environment shifts again with the baby's entrance.
2. Train Your Dog - Training is essential for helping your pet understand how to behave around a baby. Start with basic commands such as “sit” or “stay” and build from there, working up to more complex commands like “leave it” or “go away” so that your pup knows what behavior is expected of them when interacting with the newborn.
3. Create Boundaries - Once you know what level of obedience training you have achieved, create boundaries for your dog around the baby and enforce them consistently so that they understand where they are allowed to go and what activities they can participate in while near their new companion.
4. Give Your Dog Attention - Make sure that you still give your dog plenty of attention during this time by continuing to take them on walks, playing fetch, or just spending quality time together outside of the presence of the new addition to the family. This will help prevent any jealous behavior from developing or manifesting itself around the baby due to lack of attention from their owner(s).
5. Take Things Slow - When introducing your pup to their human sibling, it is important that you take things slow and give both parties time to get used to each other without feeling overwhelmed or threatened in any way. Letting your pup sniff out their new friend is usually enough at first until both parties feel more comfortable in each other's presence over time before allowing physical contact between them (if appropriate).
Introducing a puppy or adult dog into a home with an infant can be tricky but manageable with proper preparation and training ahead of time as well as patience during those first few interactions between canine and human companions alike! With these five tips for introducing a pup into a home with an infant, you'll be sure that everyone involved feels safe, secure, happy, and loved!